The line to Albert Park ran on the eastern side of the generous expanse of the Port Road median strip and was single track after leaving the Commercial Road precinct. In this photo, the overhead poles show the point where the double track section ended in Port Road. The Port Adelaide depot is out of frame to the left.
The closest link to the City:
The line to Albert Park was the only portion of the Port Adelaide system to be converted from a pre existing horse tram line. Originally opened by the Port Adelaide, Queenstown, Alberton and Portland
Estate Tramway Company, the line ran from the 'Black Diamond' corner in Port Adelaide via Commercial Road and Port Road to Albert Park with the line terminating at the company's depot between Murray Street and Glyde Street. Unlike every other privately owned
tramway in Adelaide which was built to standard gauge of 4' 8 1/2" (1435mm), this line was constructed to the broad gauge of 5' 3" (1600mm) which was the same as the railway network.
Initially, operations were provided by a steam tram motor built by
Merryweather in London and was named 'Eureka'. The steam tram towed one of two trailer cars built to a similar design as the horse trams running in the City. Services on the line commenced in May 1879. The poor condition of the local roads as well as occasional
flooding meant that operations of the steam tram motor were problematic. The line was sold to William Cave and John Darling who sold the steam tram in 1882 which was later used on the Glenelg railway. From that date onwards, tramway operations continued using
horse traction. Before electrification, the line was sold a second time.
When the Municipal Tramways Trust was acquiring the various horse tramways in Adelaide, the line from Port Adelaide to Albert Park wasn't taken over. Port Adelaide residents who
had been observing the development of the new electric tramway in the City between 1909 and 1911 started to agitate for the horse tramway to similarly be converted to electric traction. In 1912, the Municipal Tramways Trust was given the authority by the South
Australian Government to purchase the line.
The line to Albert Park was opened on the same day as the Semaphore and Rosewater lines in April 1917. Leaving 'Black Diamond' corner, the line ran along Commercial Road and then on the eastern side of the
Port Road median strip to the terminus at High Street, Albert Park.
Albert Park was the closest point that the isolated Port Adelaide tram system got to the City. Private bus operators used the systems' isolation from the rest of the tramway network
to their advantage and in the early 1920s, bus competition was rife along the length of Port Road. To try and combat this the Municipal Tramways Trust commissioned its own bus service running from the City to the Port. By 1928, all of the private bus operators
had been taken over.
By 1930, services had been altered with the bus service running to connect with the Albert Park tram. Timetables were changed which provided a more frequent and faster service. The existing fleet of trams at Port Adelaide were considered
a little bit slow however and ten of the faster C type trams (181 through to 190) were transferred to Port Adelaide to run this service. Despite the use of these additional trams, the isolation of the Port Adelaide tramways was still the main problem and in
late 1934, direct bus services were introduced through to Port Adelaide once again. In November 1934, the last trams ran to Albert Park and the line was closed.