Morphettville Racecourse in the mid 1960s sees trams to and from Glenelg stopping at the entry gates. Additional trams can be seen on the siding to the right, waiting to return punters back to the City. Photo: Barry Marshall.
The racecourse at Morphettville was provided by dedicated sidings when the line was still operated as a railway. Work started on the tramway siding network immediately after the opening of the Glenelg line on the 14th of December 1929 with the new facilities
being completed and ready for trams in only two and a half weeks. The first race meeting which made use of the new sidings was held on New Years Day 1930. The three sidings accessed from points located at the City end of the racecourse were eventually constructed
to serve the racecourse as well as additional sidings located in Colley Terrace, Glenelg.
During the 1930s, raceday meetings at Morphettville grew to such an extent that the 30 H type trams built for use on the Glenelg line were not enough to handle
the crowds. A number of the F and F1 type 'Drop Centre' trams and even a few of the older D type trams were needed to shift the crowds. Although the use of D type trams on the line reduced afterwards, the 'Drop Centre' trams could still be seen providing extra
services until the closure of the rest of the system.
By 1958, tramway traffic had declined to the point that two of the three sidings serving Morphettville could be removed leaving one siding still open to tramway traffic. By the late 1960s, only three
coupled sets of H type trams were usually placed on the siding with most of the punters attending the racecourse came by car. The final siding at Morphville remained until 1984 when track reconstruction in the area also saw its removal.
Racecourse is still served by trams with a couple of platforms provided with trams stopping on race days.