As a result of the success, of the experimental trolleybus service between Payneham and Paradise, the MTT placed orders for 30 double deck trolleybuses. These were built by J.A. Lawton and Sons at their workshops
in 1937, and were used to open the trolleybus services to Tusmore, Port Adelaide, Semaphore and Largs.
The buses were numbered 401-430 and seated 33 passengers upstairs and 26 downstairs, with a maximum capacity of 84. They were fitted with 80 h.p.
Metropolitan Vickers 201 motors mounted on A.E.C. 661T chassis. They were originally painted tuscan red and cream, but were repainted, in later years, in the Trust's new silver and red livery. The A.E.C.s were withdrawn from regular service by June 1957, but
a few re-entered service for a short period in August 1958, when additional motorbuses were required on former tram routes.
No. 417 was retained for conversion into a meal bus for use by bus crews at Kent Town, and was renumbered S106. Tables were
fitted in the lower deck, and a hot water service was installed upstairs. A power box located on an adjacent pole provided electricity for the water heater. The bus was driven each day from Hackney Depot to its Kent Town location, a practice which continued
for several weeks after the closure of the trolleybus system. It was last operated under its own power on 25 July 1963, and thereafter it was towed from place to place by a tractor. It was no longer required after 1967, and was then donated to the Museum.