Welland loop in Grange Road on the Findon line sees E1 type trams 111 and 118 passing each other in 1952. Tram 111 bound for the City and eventually Kingswood while 118 is bound for the Findon terminus. Both 111 and 118 are now in active preservation at the Tramway Museum, St Kilda. Photo: Wal Jack.
Changing tracks in the backstreets of Hindmarsh:
In 1880, the recently formed Adelaide, Hindmarsh and Henley Beach Tramway Company opened a new horse tram line from the City to the suburb of Hindmarsh. Starting at the intersection
of King William Street and Hindley Street, the line ran through Hindley Street before going through the Western Parklands via Mile End Road, East Terrace in Thebarton, Shierlaw Terrace (now part of Port Road), the central reserve of Port Road before turning
left in to John Street (now South Road) before terminating at the intersection of the John Street and Grange Road. Mile End Road disappeared in 1925 after the opening of the new Bakewell Bridge.
The company was purchased by the Municipal Tramways Trust
in 1907 for conversion to a new electric tramway along with most of the other horse tram systems in Adelaide. Instead of following the original horse tram line, the Municipal Tramways Trust decided instead to build the new electric tramway on a completely
different alignment. The new service was instead started from North Terrace and ran on the southern side of Port Road (including a new bridge over the railway line at this point) before turning down Deviation Road (now James Congdon Drive) towards Henley Beach
Road, Henley Beach Road, Albert Street and Holland Street before crossing over the River Torrens on a dedicated pre-stressed concrete bridge, known as the Holland Street Bridge. After crossing the Torrens, the line proceeded along Chapman Street (now Manton
Street) to terminate at the same intersection as the former horse tram line, the intersection of John Street and Grange Road. When everything was ready, the new tram service to Hindmarsh was opened in March 1910. In an odd quirk of history, the new tramway
to the Adelaide Entertainment Centre was opened in March 2010, exactly a century after the first electric tramway reached the suburb.
Because of the rather roundaboute route and being entirely single track, services on the Hindmarsh line were limited
and improvements to the service eventually became necessary. For trams heading to Hindmarsh, the old route via Deviation Road was no longer used with trams instead going across Port Road and down George Street before reaching Albert Street and returning to
the original route. This eliminated the need to go to Mile End via Deviation Road although the former route was retained for many years afterwards. Because the narrow streets of Thebarton precluded the use of conventional double track, a second line was built
for trams going to the City. From the northern end of the Holland Street bridge, trams turned east for one block along Adam Street before crossing the River Torrens on a new bridge that connected through to Cawthorne Street. After Cawthorne Street, the tracks
turned in to Light Terrace before turning in to Shierlaw Terrace before finally rejoining the old alignment for the rest of the trip back to the City. This new track arrangement was opened in January 1923 allowing for increased services on the line.
was also in hand to extend the Hindmarsh line further west in 1923 with the a single track extension built along Grange Road with a passing loop located in Welland before terminating at the intersection with Crittenden Road. This extension opened in April
1923. Local traffic congestion in the area meant that the terminus was shifted slightly further to the east to finally terminate at the intersection with Main Street. After decades of alingment changes, tram services on the Findon line finally settled down
to a set route. Tram services on the line to Findon finally ceased in October 1953.