D type trams were the regular tram type in the south eastern suburbs. D 158 is on the short Erindale branch at the intersection of Kensington Road and Burnside Road, heading for the terminus in May 1952, just days before closure. Photo: Wal Jack.
Last to arrive, first to go:
In the late 1930s, the first 'feeder' bus service was provided from the suburb of Erindale which connected with trams on the Burnside line at Marryatville. The bus service wasn't successful and had
stopped running in 1938. In early 1943, Lewis Brother's private bus service operated another tramway 'feeder' service on a different route to the first route, a service that was to ultimately prove successful.
The Municipal Tramways Trust made the decision
to extend tramway services to Erindale with the short branch line leaving the main Burnside line at the intersection of Tusmore Avenue and Kensington Road, proceeding along Kensington Road to terminate at the intersection with Jarvis Street. Built with second
hand material which had been recovered from the former Port Adelaide tramway system, the new line was opened in January 1944. This would be the final tramway extension in Adelaide until 2007 (when the Glenelg line was extended to City West).
during the Second World War placed a huge strain on all public transport services in Adelaide. In the immediate Post War period, the Municipal Tramways Trust was not only facing up to the need to renew the tramway and trolley bus system but also to reduce
mounting financial losses. Despite being opened in 1944, the Erindale line (as well as many of the other lines in the South Eastern suburbs) were still being principally operated by the ageing D type trams which dated back to 1912 as well as the even older
A type trams. New trolleybuses were being delivered to Adelaide and the decision was made to replace the trams to Erindale, Burnside and Linden Park with the new vehicles. After an operating life of only 8 years, the line to Erindale was closed in May 1952.