In April 1961, a special tour of the trolley bus system was held by the AETA with a trip to Semaphore being part of the trip. Seen here at the Semaphore terminus is the tour bus with a 'Redhen' suburban railcar set seen in the background. Photo: John Radcliffe.
Overhead wires to the Port:
The next route expansion was also the largest in Adelaide with the trolley bus network being expanded all the way from the City to Port Adelaide, Semaphore and Largs. The electrical supply equipment
and depot facilities from the recently closed Port Adelaide tram system was used in development of the trolley bus system to this part of Adelaide.
Opened in 1938, the service was operated as an extension of the Tusmore service and the route started
in Light Square before running Hindley Street, West Terrace, Port Road and Commercial Road before the Port Adelaide services arrived at the very end of Commercial Road. For the services that continued to Semaphore, trolley buses turned left from Commercial
Road on to St Vincent Street and continued along Hart Street before turning north in Military Road and then finally Semaphore Road before terminating at the Esplanade. Services for Largs turned off the Semaphore route at the intersection of Hart Street and
Ring Street, proceeding up Ring Street, Woolnough Road and Military Road before turning in to Jetty Road, Largs and terminating next to the Largs Hotel. After this major expansion, the trolley bus system remained the same until the immediate Post War period.
From the opening in 1938 until 1960, the Semaphore and Largs services had crossed the Port River on the old Jervois Swing Bridge. The ageing structure (which dated to the late 1870s) was replaced by a new fixed road bridge in the 1960s but in the interim,
trolley bus services were instead diverted to cross the Port River at the Birkenhead Bridge which has twin opening bascule spans. This caused a number of headaches when it came to erecting the trolley bus overhead wiring across the bridge which had to have
connections over the bridge joint as well as the wiring dropping to near road level when the bridge was raised. Once having crossed the bridge, services turned left in to Semaphore Road before the Semaphore buses turned in to Port Bridge Road before rejoining
the old route in Hart Street. Largs services continued along Semaphore Road before turning on the old route alignment in Military Road.
Like all the other trolley bus services, the last buses ran in July 1963, the latter day route revisions in the Port
area only lasting for three years.