Operational - in regular traffic
Until the 1930s the predominant type of tram car on the busy Sydney tram system was the crossbench tram. By the 1930s passengers were seeking a greater level of comfort. New trams were built to
a local version of the popular drop centre design used in Brisbane, Melbourne and Adelaide.
These trams were designated as the ‘R’ class. However, a lack of seating compared with the crossbench trams resulted in the three separate
compartments of these trams being replaced by one long saloon in the next version of these trams to be built which were designated the ‘R1’ class. They had a central entrance door and were known as Corridor trams (in reference to the long
saloon). 50 of the ‘R1’ trams were built in 1936 and another 100 were built in 1952. Car 1971 is one of the first batch of ‘R1’ class trams. It was retired from service following the closure of the Sydney tramway system
It was restored by the Sydney Tramway Museum in the early 1990s and entered service at the Sydney Tramway Museum in 1992. The tram is on loan from the Sydney Tramway Museum and arrived at St Kilda in December 2005.